Club History

The J.J.C.C. was formed in the Torquay Golf Club spike bar on a Friday night in September 2 weeks before the 1981-1982 cricket season started.

​The instigators of the Club, Bob Loader and Max McPhee, both of whom had played with the Torquay C.C. had previously discussed the possibility of forming another club, over a beer in the lounge of the Torquay Golf Club. The first two players they recruited were Kel Young, whom they saw walking up the ninth fairway, and Willie Muncie, who worked behind the bar.

That evening was the usual Friday night evening for mostly builders and teachers to get together in the spike bar of the golf club and play darts. As the evenings progressed the weekend sport would be discussed and the usual bets would be made on the outcomes.

Towards closing time, around 10.00 p.m. the usual banter about past sporting legends, and great sporting deeds achieved by those present would be in full flight. On this particular night, with the forthcoming cricket season approaching, wickets were being taken and sixes were being hit with effortless ease by about 9.00 p.m.

​The taciturn Puncher McPhee, was sitting back quietly listening to all this, while Bobby was in full flight leading the discussion. Whether or not this was pre-planned is still a mystery, but at some stage we all reckoned that we could still make runs and take wickets, even though some of us had not played for several years.

​The darts, drinking and banter continued, and the next minute Puncher, who had quietly left the room, re-appeared to announce, “I hope that you blokes can all play as good as you can talk, because I’ve just entered a team in C Grade.” There was a moment of silence to consider this, and then agreeing that it was a good idea, we continued playing darts.


This was held at Moriac, against Modewarre, and was the hot topic for discussion the previous night in the spile bar. A team meeting was held before the match where Puncha gave us the “Barrass” as he called it, and called for volunteers to open the batting. Since no-one volunteered, he picked a couple whom he said had blinked, and thus the first match proceeded. We were all out a short time later for 52 runs. The game concluded when after having well passed our score, the opposition smote the ball over into a distant paddock, never to be found.

​That was the last match that we lost for two seasons in C Grade and in B Grade in the following season.

​R.Haeberle (2001/2002)